John Edward McCarthy
Managing Director - Principle Hydrographic Surveyor
DOB: 28 November 1939
Registered/Licensed Surveyor 1967
Hydrographic Surveyor Level 1, Surveying and Spatial Sciences Institute, Australia
USL Coastal Master Class 5
Member, Institution of Surveyors, Australia (1970)
Fellow, Surveying and Spatial Sciences Institute of Australia (2011)
Member Hydrographic Society
Fields of special competence
Panel Member, Australasian Hydrographic Surveyors Certification Panel (AHSCP) 1994 to 2013
- Management and development of Mapping & Hydrographic Surveys Pty Ltd. Field operations surveyor carrying out Harbour, Nearshore and Offshore surveys throughout Australia, PNG, SE Asia, The Middle East and The Pacific. Major projects include development investigation surveys for Greenfield Port Sites and Major Existing Ports, Submarine Pipelines and Cables. Services include Bathymetry, Side Scan Sonar, Marine Geophysics, Tidal & Current studies.
- Maintains a keen interest in the welfare of his fellow professional Hydrographers and was instrumental in the formation and development of the Australasian Hydrographic Surveyors Certification Panel (AHSCP) 1988 to 1994. Instrumental in the AHSCP gaining the Recognition of the FIG-IHO-ICA International Board on Standards of Competence for Hydrographic Surveyors and Nautical Cartographers.
- The AHSCP is the first body to become an International Certifying Body for Hydrographic Surveyors. Served as a member of the AHSCP from it’s formation in 1994 to 2013. The AHSCP is the vehicle to certify Hydrographic Surveyors on an international basis to IHO (International Hydrographic Organization) Category A and Category B standards. The AHSCP is now certifying a growing number of international applicants. Australian representative to the International Federation of Surveyors (FIG) Commission 4 – Hydrography.
- Development and management of Mapping & Hydrographic Surveys (the firm) from its foundation to a specialist, well equipped firm of consulting surveyors operating nationally and internationally. Field operations surveyor carrying out harbour and coastal development surveys throughout Australia, PNG, SE Asia and The Pacific.
- Hydrographic Surveyor, Department of Harbours & Marine, Queensland, responsible for hydrographic surveys along the Queensland coast.
- Early training as a Land Surveyor with the Queensland Government and several private consulting survey firms.