Senior Marine Geophysicist
DOB: 14 June 1988
University of Southampton Bachelor of Science in Geophysical Sciences with Second Class Honours (upper division) 25 June 2010
Fields of special competence
High Resolution Marine Geophysical Surveys, Computer Processing Interpretation and Mapping.
2012 – present
- Nelson is responsible for the field acquisition, processing, analysis and presentation of Mapping and Hydrographic Surveys Pty Ltd Marine Geophysical Survey operations and the ongoing development of MHS Ultra-High Resolution 2D Marine Reflection Geophysical Systems for varied projects throughout Australia, PNG, Indonesia and Malaysia.
- In the office, Nelson’s role is to interpret the geophysical data to a high standard and the integration of different data sets to gain the fullest understanding of any site which entails utilising all the various forms of data collected and processed from the field survey together with any additional information available from previous surveys, client provided shape files, maps and charts.
- Nelson’s experience includes surveys involving the following equipment: High Resolution Seismic (multi-channel streamer, air gun array, active tail buoy), Ultra High Resolution Seismic (mini airgun, GeoEel multi-channel streamer), Side Scan Sonar, Single and Multi Beam Echo Sounders, various sub-bottom profilers (Mini airgun with single hydrophone, Pinger, Boomer, Sparker, Chirp), Magnetometer, Piston corer, Vibrocorer, Box corer, Day grab, Van-veen grab, Cone Penetration Test (CPT), underwater camera systems GPS and USBL positioning.
2010 – 2012
- Two years of rigorous offshore operations in the North Sea and higher latitudes for Gardline Marine Sciences as the on board geophysicist responsible for the acquisition and rendering of Marine Geophysical field data and reports followed by involvement in the analysis and processing of the data and the preparation of plans, reports and in the finalisation of the project at the head offices before presentation to the client.
- Nelson has been lead field geophysicist for several major projects and has worked for clients including Statoil, EDP Renewable, Maersk, BP, Shell and Exxon-Mobil on a variety of surveys including seismic exploration, cable and pipeline route surveys and burial assessments, EEZ regional surveys, Unexploded Ordinance (UXO) location and identification, environmental habitat investigations, impact assessments and a range of site surveys to asses hazards, anchoring conditions and suitability for the installation of infrastructure such as wind farms and drilling platforms.
- Whilst offshore his primary responsibilities were quality control, data tracking, charting, reporting and communicating vital information with other members of the crew.
2007 – 2010
- Nelson attained his Degree (BSc Geophys) Geophysical Sciences – Top of Class — Southampton University (School of Ocean and Earth Science) – Jun 2010 — his independent research project on a high resolution seismic investigation of Lake Windermere making a large contribution to his final year work. The main aspects of his project were an investigation of the survey area, a study of the data acquisition and the processing, presentation and interpretation of ultra-high resolution seismic data giving him the opportunity to work independently on a topic in contemporary geophysics.